Legalities & Pensions for GPs

Identity and registered to work as a GP

We need to ensure that suitable and approved identity checks are in place in order to be able to offer work. We require sight of work permits for foreign doctors who must have an address in the UK to obtain a National Insurance number in order to work. All GP’s must have a GMC number and be in the process of getting onto an English Performers list. We do have Welsh clients/surgeries and so it is an advantage to be on the Welsh Performers list as well. We require dates of your appraisal and revalidation. A full list of the requirements both professionally considered as mandatory and those which the clients are required to have as a result of CQC inspection are available by contacting the office.

Advice on working abroad/returning to work in the UK

This can be a complicated process and we would advise that you contact your local Deanery.

We can manage your diary so that you can comply with the necessary hours needed to be appraised and remain on the English Performers list for those working abroad and wishing to return to work in England again.


 All our GP’s and nurses are self-employed and we will require your UTR number to prove to the HMRC that you are accountable for your own taxation.

Short term contracts are available wherein you can claim employers contribution for NHS pension. These are arranged on an individual basis. For financial advice we refer you to links.